Saturday, January 8, 2011

tangerine

Hi my friends. I'm getting this post up quite a bit later than I'd planned. I made a couple of cards today, and without really planning it, they both ended up being tangerine. I apologize that my pictures are a bit fuzzy. When my computer crashed a couple of weeks ago, I lost my photo editing software. My son downloaded another more current one for me from online, but I can't get a nice image. I may have to have him reload the previous one from the CD.

Anyway, my first card is for one of the Gina K release challenges on StampTV. The challenge was to use one new thing on your card. I used one of my new octagon nestabilities dies. I received the full set for Christmas.

I made a background of faux wood and die cut the octagon out of that. The flowers are from Local King Rubber Stamps. I colored them with copics and cut them out. I did a double layer on the closest flower. They are tucked into the opening of the wood.

The butterfly is from Take Flight (Gina K). I colored that by sponging on the ink.

The little photo corners were leftover from a previous project and they worked perfectly.

My second card is for the inspiration challenge on SCS. I thought I might have a hard time coming up with a card, because all the images on the chosen inspiration site are childish and totally not my style. But then I realized that I didn't have to use that style and could still be inspired by it. I chose one of the quilted (of course) binders with flowers on it.

I started by scoring lines on the white piece to imitate the quilting.

The flower is made up of eight layers of petals (daisy patch flowers), plus leaves (open falling leaves) and the pearl in the center. Both stamp sets are from Heartfelt Creations. Between each layer is two thicknesses of cardstock. I wanted some dimension, but not as much as foam tape would give. However, the flower still stands up about 5/8" on the front of the card. I don't think I'm gonna be mailing this one. I colored the flowers with prismacolor pencils and gamsol. The flowers have dies that match, so I used those. The leaf set also has matching dies, but I don't have those, so I had to cut those out by hand.

The black decorative accents are from another die set called butterfly borders (also Heartfelt Creations, made by Spellbinders).

Also beneath the flower is another die cut, big scalloped ovals nestabilities. I sponged just along the edge with tangerine, so it didn't get lost against the white background.

For a finishing touch, I added some faux brads in the corners -- 1/8" punched black cardstock.

Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Holly said...

these are so pretty Melody! the tangerine color is so bold and really makes for a striking card! I love those beautiful scrolly dies you used on the second card.