Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Grungy Monday #09

Happy Tuesday, my friends. We had a nice family day yesterday for Memorial Day. In the morning, I spread weed & feed on our lawn. I was so hot and tired by the time I finished. It felt really good to wash off my feet with the hose. Of course, I picked up a bit of sunburn at the same time. It doesn't take much for that to happen, so I really don't spend a lot of time out in the sun.

In the afternoon we got together with some of my husband's family, plus a few others that my FIL invited to share with us. I found out that one of the ladies I met is the sister to none other than Mrs. Rubbernecker (Patty, Dave's wife), and just as sweet. How fun is that! We had a great time chatting.

Today I have a card that I made for two challenges. One is Grungy Monday #09, celebrating the products and techniques of Tim Holtz. This challenge can be found each Monday on Linda LinkLedbetter's blog, Studio L3. This week's challenge can be found on Tim's blog here.

I started with a piece of black cardstock and embossed the image in clear ep. Then spread pool paint dabber and Apple ivory acrylic paint over it. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but for the life of me, I couldn't get the paint to wash off the embossed image, so I improvised and used a sanding block to sand it off instead. I thought the problem was because I mixed two types of paint, but I tried it with just one paint dabber and had no better results.

The second challenge this card is for is Inspiration Emporium Monthly Challenge (IEMC02) using packaging. I used some plastic packaging from a Spellbinders die. I did heated pearls technique on the plastic, which basically uses white glue, pearl ex and a heat gun. Instructions can be found here on Splitcoaststampers.com. Then I die cut the plastic with Tim's butterfly movers & shapers dies. I reheated the butterflies a bit, so I could shape them while they were warm. I really love how they turned out. I attached them to the card with mini glue dots.

One edge of the main image panel was die cut with Tim's on the edge scallops die.

For the sentiment, I stamped the word 'delight' from an old SU set, paint prints with black stazon ink. Then die cut it with a nestabilities petite oval die (Spellbinders). I added some black ink along the edges as well, and then covered the piece with versamark and clear UTEE (3 layers). I punched holes and added some brads. This is a takeoff of Shelly's tutorial here.  This piece was attached with dimensional foam tape.

I hand crocheted the edging.

10 comments:

Kaz said...

Gorgeous background and the colours are cool...
kazxx

Marjie K said...

This is beautiful and your hand crocheting is such an awesome touch!

Kathy Eddy said...

This turned out great! I always have trouble getting my paint off too so am hoping for good results this time.

Shelly Hickox said...

Fantastic! I wish I could crochet lace!

Your sentiment tag looks a lot like my tutorial!
http://shellyhickox.blogspot.com/2011/02/gc90-charms-wednesday-stamper-tutorial.html

MarleneMAZ said...

Gorgeous card and I love those butterflies!

Alison said...

Your card is stunning Melody! x

Jane said...

Wow. Your card is beautiful. I love the shabby chic technique, but am intrigued by the butterflies as well. I'm off to pull out packaging and give it a try. Thank you for the inspiration.

Dawn Mercedes said...

I really like that there is so much texture here! wow!

sasa said...

looking good - I like the faded background image! I had a tough time to at first and had to start again..
Sarah at 47

Crafty Chick Designs said...

The colorful butterflies are striking against the blue, great color combo. Hand crocheted lace - WOW! Thanks for the link on how you did the tag, gonna have to try that.

Debbie C