Saturday, February 25, 2012

believe in magic

Hello, my friends.  It's a beautiful, sunny, but cold day today.  A good day to stay indoors and create.

The end of the month is fast approaching and that means a deadline for several challenges.  So this morning I worked on another art journal page for a challenge at OWSE Yahoo group.

We were given a list of ten words and had to use three.  I chose 'believe', 'magic', and 'young'.  I decided to write out the words in fancy, doodle letters.  After I had finished the words, I spritzed them with Adirondack color wash and cut around each word.  Since the colors are pretty bold, I chose to make my background much lighter.  I used a Crafter's Workshop stencil called paradise and sponged distress inks on randomly.  Then to tone down the bright white areas, I lightly sponged tea dye distress ink all over and around the edges.

After gluing down all the words, I knew there had to be at least one butterfly.  (Seems to be a theme of mine)  As I was playing around with color and placement, I thought it would be cool use the concept of changing from black & white to full color, so I decided to leave some butterflies all white and then have some gradually becoming colored - like magic!  haha - I love it!  The large butterflies are from SU Flores suaves, and the small ones are from CHF Vintage Butterflies.  I used tuxedo black memento ink and copic markers.

I glued all the butterflies down and then added antennae and some light butterfly trails, as well as a bit of doodling along the edges.   I like how it turned out and it didn't take me days and days to create.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  I hope you're having a great weekend.

3 comments:

Adriann said...

Wow...love your page! Your lettering is outstanding!! ♥

Starla said...

Your lettering FLOORED me!! Fabulous! And I LOVE your concept of the b/w butterflies "magically" changing! HAHA! That is the way my brain works too!

Denise Barger said...

Love, Love, Love it!! Great job Melody