Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hexagons

Hello, my friends.  It's been a long time since I've shown you anything on my hexagon quilt, which I started two years ago.  To see some previous blog posts showing some of my progress, click here, here, and here.  Some time ago, I sewed the blocks into strips, but they've just been sitting waiting for me to press the seams and sew the strips together.  Well last night, I finally decided to jump in and do it.  Today, I finished sewing the strips together and pressed all the seams.

Looking back on my first post about this, I see that my original plan was to add sashing between the blocks.  But when I sewed them together, I changed my mind and didn't do that.  So, when I spread it out on a bed to take a picture, I realized that I had seriously misjudged how many hexagons I'd need to make a bed sized quilt.  It doesn't quite cover the bed from head to foot.  I'm about four rows too short, or 36 more hexagon blocks.  Oops!  That means I have two options.  I can either make more hexagons... or I can make a lap/snuggle quilt instead.  I'm leaning toward adding on.

So... I guess that means I'm going to have to dig into my fabric stash and make more hexagons.  And I thought my next step was determining what fabric to use as backing.  I guess not.  Hmmmm.... I wonder where I put that pattern. 

Thanks so much for stopping by.

2 comments:

Starla said...

WOW....That is a lot of cutting!! I think it looks like rows of flowers!!

Ashley Calder said...

Beautiful quilt! Awesome job on the hexies. I love the bright colours on the white background.