Tuesday, February 26, 2013

20 hearts - #18

Hello my friends.  We are getting more snow!  It only started a short time ago, but it's really coming down heavy.  Predictions are 5-8".  I don't plan on going out in it.

The month is almost over, but I've managed to keep up with the heart challenge for February at Motley Soul Mixed-Media Art.  Although this is number 18, I only need to make one more, because I have the one finished that I can't show you yet.

I wanted to make one with spirelli on it, but wasn't sure how it would look to do it the shape of the heart.  Instead, I die cut a circle in the heart and made a spirelli circle.

The heart is made from junk mail coated with gesso and some paint brushed on rather messily.  But I think it worked perfectly for this technique.  Sometimes it's that quirkiness that makes your art interesting.  I use a plastic canvas circle as my guide for piercing the holes to use for the spirelli, which is done with a needle and black thread.  I prefer thread because it looks so delicate and lacy.

I stamped a flower from Natural Beauty (SU), plus two extra flowers with jet black stazon ink on white card stock.  They are colored with Derwent Inktense pencils, using a water brush to blend.  The little white dots are white paint applied with the end of a toothpick.  I cut the main flower to fit behind the opening and then attached the other two flowers in front so they overlap the spirelli a bit.

Then I went digging in my stash of pattern paper for something that looked good with the red and put that on my card base.

I had a strip of white card stock that had been punched with a Martha Stewart border punch.  I used a square punch to punch out parts for the corners.

I really love this one.

Thanks so much for stopping by. 

No comments: